Chessvis V10 - Big Buttons, Eye Gaze Chess (or is it Two Thumb Chess)
Chessvis V10 - Big Buttons, Eye Gaze Chess (or is it Two Thumb Chess)
Recibidos
Henry at Chessvis<henry@chessvis.com>
mi茅, 5 nov, 13:13 (hace 2 d铆as)
para Henry, bcc: m铆
Parece que este mensaje est谩 en ingl茅s
Chessvis V10 - More Stuff!
Big Buttons &
EyeGaze (aka "Two Thumb") Chess
Big Button Chess
A couple weeks ago, I was reading about Apple working on a folding 18" iPad. They're having problems with it but my thought was about the big Chessvis chessboard and how odd it would be to have the tiny the toolbar buttons at the bottom of the screen. But the reality is there are already big tablets and big monitors for the web version. Probably users wouldn't mind giving up a bit of screen space for ease of use.
So I thought about an option to make the toolbar buttons bigger.
Eye Gaze Chess for some. Two Thumb Chess for others.
One of my missions is to increase chess accessibility. "Verbal Chess" is a big step in that direction. A year or two ago, I wanted to create a version for ALS patients who can only interact with the computer by eye movement. I bought a $1,200 "eye gaze" tracker that follows your eye movements and translates them into mouse moves & clicks. In retrospect, my implementation was a bit clumsy because it involved moving the pieces on the board. But when you are trying to decide on a move you're looking at the board and with the "tracker" that can generate move actions. I added more functions to block that and it got complicated.
The thought occurred to me that for "eye gaze" to work well, the board had to be something that could be stared at indefinitely. And that trackers work best with BIG buttons. I came up with an algorithm where at most 8 buttons would be needed and those could next to the board. And frequently fewer buttons would be needed. (For example, at the initial board, only a pawn and knight can move so they can be big, big buttons.)
If you look at the puzzle image below, all 8 button slots are used. For "red" buttons, they require another level of move definition. (The rook, queen, king and a few pawns can move to multiple squares so they are red.) The pawn on "c7" and the pawn on "d6" only have one possible move so they're green. If, for example, you select the "a7" pawn, you'll then see two big green buttons with "a6" and "a5".
This works on all devices. I used a phone to get good screenshots and honestly during testing, I found it pretty relaxing to just use the big buttons. Only the valid moves are listed, and I didn't have to deal with touching the piece images on the small board or covering up the board while trying to move the piece.
What about the "Big Button Menu"?
I couldn't do all that work to make Chessvis easier for use with eye trackers without doing something about menu access.
When you open the right hand menu, you'll see a "Big Button and Eye Gaze" group. That has two items: the menu and preferences. All the routines that can be accessed from the "big button menu" have a "Done" button that takes you back. (That's on the puzzle screenshot above.)
From the preferences, you can turn on the eye gaze buttons. They work for puzzles, playing the computer (and blindfold) and Lichess. (Note: Lichess only works in the web version BUT you can run the web version on a phone or tablet.) There is also an option to control the height of the buttons. And you can decide if "big buttons" should be used even when using the upper left "hamburger" menu.
There are two URL options that control the web version.
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario